Sunday, January 23, 2011

Before I Lose It

Today I am going to share with you a simple recipe that my family loves. It's the recipe that my girls call for again and again. A mad scramble then ensues for the recipe. You see it came from the cookbook "Cooking With Elsie." It's a treasure, full of recipes compiled from years of a column of the same title, in our local newspaper The Wauneta Breeze. My Mom originally got this recipe for Cornbread Cookies from her friend Bunnie Jussel. I have made it so many times that the page has come loose from the binder and floats around the cookbook cabinet, recipe box, junk drawer, top of the fridge, desk, coffee table, you get the idea. The page it'self is crumpled, folded, and stained with spilled milk and cooking oil.  Every time that I am afraid I have lost it I vow I am going to make sure and preserve it somewhere else in case I really do lose it. So here it goes.....

Bunnie's Cornbread Cookies

2/3 cup yellow cornmeal         3 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup oil                             1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk                          1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup flour

Mix together the cornmeal, oil and milk. Let this mixture set for 10 minutes. in a second bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir the cornmeal into the flour mixture. Drop by large cookie scoop onto sprayed cookie sheet. Bake at 425 for about 10 minutes. Makes between 12 and 20 cookies depending on size. Serve with butter, honey, or jam!


My family particularly likes these with chili or the family favorite, Shipwreck!

1 comment:

  1. Every once in awhile a recipe comes along which becomes a family tradition. This is one of them. Thanks, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete