Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fresh From The Pink Kitchen: Pumpkin Sweet Rolls

These came from the Gooseberry Patch Homemade Harvest cookbook. These are wonderful for breakfast!

Pumpkin Sweet Rolls

1 envelope active dry yeast                           1 cup brown sugar
1-1/4 c. warm milk                                       1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. canned pumpkin                                    1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. sugar                                                  1 to 2 T. milk
1-1/4 c. butter, divided                                 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 t. salt                                                         7-1/4 c. flour divided

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk warmed to 110 to 115 degrees. Add sugar aand let the yeast activate a couple of minutes, then add the pumpkin, 1/2 cup melted butter, salt and 4-3/4 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough of remaining flour to form a soft dough, up to one cup. (Don't panic most of the rest of the flour is for the streusel, I panicked.) Dough will be sticky. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about one hour. Punch dough down, (I loved this part.) Roll into a 24 inch by 10 inch rectangle. For streusel combine  1-1/2 cups of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 3//4 cup cold butter; set aside one cup. Sprinkle remaining streusel over dough and roll up jelly roll style, starting with long side. Cut into 24 slices. Place cut side down in two greased 9x13 inch pans. sprinkle with reserved streusel. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over rolls, serve warm. Makes 2 dozen rolls.

More thoughts from me: Next time I will make a cream cheese frosting instead of the powdered sugar glaze. I think this would put it over the top! I also think I will try making one half as sticky buns.


The ingredients

The ingredients
First batch of dough :( I think I had the milk to warm, I waited and it never rose.......
I didn't give up and tried again. This looks more like it :)
The Streusel


Rollin' in the dough!


The finished product......yum! Where's my coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment